About Us 2021 Newborn Screening Awareness Month
Throughout the month of September, Baby's First Test, a program of Expecting Health, will continue our annual tradition of sharing newborn screening facts, videos, and stories on our social media platforms as well as highlighting education and awareness efforts from communities and organizations across the nation. We know that newborn screening involves many different stakeholders, and this year we are focusing on highlighting what and who makes up this interconnected system. Our Newborn Screening Awareness Month Toolkit has messaging guidance for this year's theme, Newborn Screening is ________, to help encourage your community to fill in the blank, to share what newborn screening means to them, and to raise awareness.
When you share a post, picture, or story, use #2021NBS to be a part of our larger awareness campaign and to join the national dialogue. Together, we can amplify stories and raise awareness for newborn screening.
Download the #2021NBS toolkit here.
Social Media Graphics to Share
We have a number of social media graphics for you to share on all your platforms. Download any graphic below for Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Be sure to include #2021NBS when you post on social media.
Raise Awareness at Your Next Meeting
Use the #2021NBS image to use as your next Zoom background.
- Download the #2021NBS image
- Navigate to Preferences in the settings menu
- Under Virtual Backgrounds, click the plus (+) icon to the right of the video filter
- Upload the downloaded the #2021NBS background
Raise Awareness on Facebook
Add the #2021NBS Frame to your profile picture.
- Update your profile picture
- Cick add frame
- Search for #2021NBS
- Reposition your profile picture accordingly
- Determine how long the frame will be displayed
Post and Share Messages on Social Media
Use these sample messages by copying it and posting it on social media.
- September is Newborn Screening Awareness Month! To learn more about #newbornscreening and what to expect, visit BabysFirstTest.org. #2021NBS
- Did you know there are three parts to #newbornscreening? 1) the blood test (or heel stick) 2) the hearing screen 3) pulse oximetry. Learn more about what to expect from your baby’s first test: https://expectinghealth.info/3fRp6vU #2021NBS
- Looking for educational resources on #newbornscreening? Check out @BabysFirstTest’s resource center: https://expectinghealth.info/3izu9mD #2021NBS
- Each year, about 12,500 babies are born with one of the conditions included in state #newbornscreening panels: https://expectinghealth.info/3gOlkEP #2021NBS
- Did you know that not every state screens for the same #newbornscreening conditions. Find out what your state screens for: https://expectinghealth.info/3fI5ESg #2021NBS
- Learn from other families, in their own words, what their #newbornscreening journey has been like: https://expectinghealth.info/3gTKjH6 #2021NBS
- #Newbornscreening is an essential #publichealth service that screens babies for serious but treatable medical conditions. Learn more here: http://expectinghealth.info/31HA41Z #2021NBS
- #Newbornscreening is a connected system. It's made up of diverse stakeholders who are committed to giving babies a healthy start! Share what newborn screening means to you #2021NBS
- #Newbornscreening is life-changing. It detects babies who may be a higher risk for certain health conditions. This allows doctors to start treatment as early as possible! What does #newbornscreening mean to you? #2021NBS
- #Newbornscreening is community. It's filled with passionate family advocacy organizations and committed #publichealth professionals dedicated to serving families. We wouldn't be the NBS community without them! #2021NBS
- What’s your #newbornscreening story? Share yours today to make a difference and remind other families they are not alone! https://expectinghealth.info/3gTKjH6 #2021NBS
Educational Resources to Share
Looking for educational resources to share on newborn screening? We have lots of wonderful English and Spanish resources from our team and organizations across the country in our Newborn Screening Resource Center.
Awareness Month Activities From our Partners
How are you raising awareness for newborn screening? To let others know what you what you are doing throughout the month, email [email protected]
Ask an Expert
Have a question that’s not answered on Baby’s First Test? Send it to our experts.